Lemon & Blueberries together are what I call the taste of summer! This lemon blueberry cake is so moist and light, with flavors bursting of lemon and fresh blueberries in every bite. Top this cake with a dreamy fresh squeezed lemon buttercream, more fresh blueberries and lemon zest for a beautiful looking dessert!
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 cupcakes or 1 ~ 8.5inch round cake. Double this recipe to make 24 cupcakes or a layered cake.
For the Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes:
- 1 and 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/3 cup of grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 cup of water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional, but really amps up the lemon flavor)
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries **if using frozen do not thaw first
For the Lemon Buttercream Frosting:
• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
• 5 cups powdered sugar
• 1 and 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 cup of oat milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
•1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional, but really amps up the lemon flavor)
• 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
• 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350* degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners or your 8.5in cake pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine your dry ingredients~ flour, sugar, and baking soda. Mix well
- Create a crater in the middle of your dry ingredients
- Add in your wet ingredients ~ vinegar, oil, water, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Mix until combined
- With a spoon gently fold in your blueberries and lemon zest
- Pour batter into your desired pan or muffin tins. Cupcakes bake at 350* for 15-20 minutes or cake for 30 minutes.
- Beat the butter until fluffy
- 5 cups of powdered sugar gradually
- Add your lemon juice, vanilla and lemon extract and milk
- Top each frosted cupcake with extra blueberries and a pinch of lemon zest!
Cupcakes may be frozen, unfrosted and stored properly, for three months